Campus Wellbeing Strategic Planning
I previously worked with Niagara College to develop a Peer Wellness Program, and was honoured to work with them again. I am leading a gap analysis and stakeholder consultation process, which will be used to inform the development of a Student Mental Health Strategy.
National Community of Practice
I established a national community of practice for Canadian student affairs leaders who are implementing the Mental Health Commission of Canada's National Standard for Mental Health and Well-Being for Post-Secondary Students.
Learn more and join here!
University of the Fraser Valley
UFV is a unique institution with a deep commitment to student well-being. As a consultant, I am leading a gap analysis and environmental scan to identify strengths, gaps, and opportunities. This report will inform the development of a campus wellbeing strategic plan.
Peer Support Programs
I've worked with colleges and universities across Canada to design, develop, and implement peer support initiatives.
- Niagara College Peer Wellness Program
- Centennial College Peer Listener Program
- Bishop's University B-United Peer Support Centre
Mental Health Peer Mentoring Program
I designed, developed, coordinated, and evaluated an innovative peer mentoring program for students with mental health issues at Queen’s University, with funding from the provincial Mental Health Innovation Fund.
- "A Pioneering Peer Mentoring Program", Queen’s Alumni Review
I've designed training and curriculum for peer leadership and mentoring programs, grounded in leadership theory models and intentional curriculum design.
- British Columbia Institute of Technology: Peer Leadership Course
- Queen's University: Open-source peer mentor training manual
Curriculum & Training
Student Success Hub
In collaboration with the BCIT team, I designed and developed the curriculum and user experience for BCIT's new, online Student Success Hub. I designed the curriculum intentionally, using theory and best practices in health promotion, student development, and adult learning research. The Hub launched in August 2020.
Faculty Toolkit: Promoting Student Well-being in the Classroom
I created a toolkit for college faculty on strategies to embed well-being into pedagogy and support students in distress. The toolkit included templates, activities, scripts, slides, handouts, and exercises to promote student wellness and protective factors for mental health.
Certificate in Learning and Wellness
I developed the wellness curriculum for a new certificate program for graduate students, which launched in October 2018. I incorporated components of positive psychology and health behaviour change theory to equip participants to develop wellness goals and strategies through a five-week program.
Research & Evaluation
The Stop Community Food Centre
I designed and implemented an evaluation of The Stop's volunteer program to identify strategies to understand how volunteering impacts volunteers' health and to identify barriers to meaningfully engaging service users as volunteers.
- The Stop used my research and recommendations to secure $50,000 in funding from the Toronto Foundation's Vital Ideas Grant to revamp their volunteer training and evaluation, using an anti-oppressive and anti-racist framework.
Persistent Poverty: Between the Margins
In 2010, I co-authored a book that captured the stories and lived experiences of people living in poverty in Ontario, along with policy recommendations to reform Ontario's social assistance policies. Persistent Poverty was published by Between the Lines Books in 2010.
- Persistent Poverty was used as a lobbying tool by anti-poverty activists in the 2011 provincial election.
In 2012, Persistent Poverty was short-listed for the Speaker's Book Award.
I have co-authored several academic papers, including one that has been published, and several in preparation.
- Academic Accommodations for Postsecondary Students with Mental Health Disabilities in Ontario, Canada: A Review of the Literature and Reflections on Emerging Issues. Journal of Postsecondary Education & Disability, 28(3), 277–291. (Permalink)
- Launching a Program Resource Manual: A Peer Mentoring
Program for Students with
Mental Health Issues. (2018). Australian and New Zealand Student Services Association.